24 August 2007

Make your Friday a bit more *may-juh*

After witnessing tube dress after tube dress, tiered peasant skirt after tiered peasant skirt and even a few denim-shirt-and-balloon-seat-chinos ensembles, I decided to institute a feature I'm calling 'may-juh Friday' that will give me the opportunity at least once a week to indulge in a bit of that which I enjoy most.

No, no, after that.

That? Not even close.

I'm talking about putting together for you, the professional women of DC, this pair of trousers with those bejeweled flats and that square-necked blouse; I'm talking about building a 'look' around a single item like a sheath dress or a swing jacket or a even a metallic round-toed pump; I'm talking about making casual Friday casual - relative to the rest of the week, anyway - but a whole lot more fabulous and easily transition-able to post-work plans than you're used to seeing and most likely, wearing into the office on that last day of the work week.

So, from now on, every Friday I'll put together two outfits, one at the 'If I had a Sugar Daddy...' price-point and one at the 'Since I don't (yet)' price-point, both of which will without doubt knock the white tube socks and taupe Naturalizers off the unpedicured feet of the other women in your office.

If you aren't sure how I came up with the title for this weekly feature, check out the following scene about 20 seconds in and the origins from whence may-juh came should become posh-fully clear...


Please to enjoy the first installment of may-juh Friday:

If I had a Sugar Daddy...

Swing jacket by Rebecca Taylor ($428 at activeendeavors.com)
George cotton top by Diane von Furstenberg ($198 at saks.com)
Cortez slim bootcut jean by Sass & Bide ($235 at shopbop.com)
Red patent cut-out slingback by Moschino ($398 at zappos.com)

Since I don't (yet)

Herringbone swing jacket by Lux ($68 at urbanoutfitters.com)
Short-sleeve ruffle shirt ($68 at anntaylor.com)
Skinny denim trouser by INC International Concepts ($79 at macys.com)
Susanna cut-out pump by Barefoot Tess ($52 at barefoottess.com)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally boring. Yawn.

Anonymous said...

such a brilliant idea!

and i love the first outfit--perfect for those upcoming fall happy hours.

Meokat said...

You talk about swing jackets ALL THE TIME--and I'm *so* reluctant to try them as I fear they may not be the most figure-flattering item...

Maxie said...

Unfortunately Fridays are my "dress up" day. I know, things are screwy in West Virginia. Absolutely love the INC International Concepts skinny trousers. Hot.

Johanna said...

Meokat-

Guilty as charged - I'm a swing jacket NUT. As long as you aren't too broad-shouldered or too busty and as long as you pair it with a slim silhouette down below, anyone can try the swing. Go for it!

Maxie-

just use these recs to dress "up" casually the othe 4 days of the week! Yeah, those skinny trousers are calling out to me, too...

best,
J

Anonymous said...

Those red "since I don't yet" shoes are so major. I'm so sad they don't have any small sizes yet.

Anonymous said...

left, I meant they don't have any small sizes left.

Lady Tiara said...

i love it. in fact, i wish i was wearing either version right now. it would go a long to making this friday bearable.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be using "may-juh" all day, if that's okay with you. For starters, both those swing jackets are totally may-juh, as well as Sass & Bides. Unfortunately, my bank account is in a may-juh-ly depleted state so I can only look. Bollocks.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, the Lux swing jacket looks mighty tempting...why can't it just be Fall already?

Anonymous said...

I actually like the cheaper white blouse and jacket better! But those Sass & Bide pants are so gorgeous. Sigh.

Unknown said...

Anonymous, care to explain why you find this look boring?? Just curious....

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love the swing jacket....on other people. My big 'ol boobs won't let me wear them. Boo.