09 October 2007

Where oh where is *my* opaque tights weather?


I know I'm in cool weather withdrawal when I look at a photo like this, a photo of a woman about whose style and lifestyle I often dream, and more than her mock-neck, 3/4-sleeve mini, more than her silk-blend opera coat, more than her black alligator Valentino clutch (not pictured) and even more than her old-school promenade exit (how sigh-worthy is that?), I wish most to have an opportunity like she did last night in Berlin to wear a pair of thick, opaque tights.

93 on Sunday, 90 yesterday and if Sam Champion is to be believed, 90 again today and 87 tomorrow -- not exactly temperatures for which nylon or cashmere-blend leg coverings are appropriate.

But you know what, f**k it, it's almost mid-October and I feel diddily-darn entitled to slip on my cashmere-sweater-dress-'n'-tweed-tights ensemble and walk out the door without judgment or discomfort.

Not today or tomorrow, perhaps, but soon. Very soon.

Stay tuned for a selection of cool weather tights coming up later today...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is your deal with her??? She's such an old woman in a young woman's body. Not attractive at all.

Anonymous said...

While I question Katie Holmes' choice in mate, I have to disagree with the above comment. She is truly beautiful and has a classic sense of style. She seems like "such an old woman" in comparison to some of the juvenile ensembles we see on other celebrities in her age group. These days, dressing in an age appropriate way is unfortunately uncommon.

Example: http://perezhilton.com/?p=6816

Anonymous said...

I agree with anon 8:42. Katie and her "style" are both busted. And don't get me started on that creepy marriage of hers. Suri is the only redeemable thing about that hag.

Anonymous said...

Love Katie. Don't listen to these haters. She's divine.

K said...

i am also itching to wear all my new tights and tweeds and thicker coats!

come a few months though im sure ill be griping about how cold it is. haha!

Anonymous said...

I don't really see Katie as a style inspiration, I confess. And Tom isn't a shade over, what, 5.6? I respect your choices, though.

Johanna said...

Elle-

Elle, Elle, Elle, what am I going to do with you?

At least we'll never fight over dresses or men, right?

And for the record, Tom is 5'8".

Yeeeah, what I'd give for those 2-4 inches...

XOXO
J

Anonymous said...

My pre-season-purchased grey tulip-sleeve knit coat is getting very cranky hanging in the closet. As is my new black Kenzie sweater dress. And yes, my opaque tights drawer is positively ready to riot. Stupid global warming.

Johanna said...

Bridal Bird-

Oh wait, this is Global Warming's fault? Well then I'm gonna rock on without my tights on! Woot Woot for environmental destruction, and by environmental destruction you know I mean hippie decimation.

buh-bye, Justin Bobbies ;-)

Maxie said...

I'm rebelling against the weather and wearing my sweaters... who cares-- I control the air conditioning in my office.

I can't just let them stay in my closet, they're lonely.

Anonymous said...

Like Justin Bobby is aware of global warming. If he was, though, you better believe he'd be fighting it - homeboy wears combat boots to the beach. And a heckuvalotta flannel.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see your recs as I am looking for a few pairs of fun work tights for Fall. Or Winter. Or whenever this heatwave decides to leave us.

Emily Tavoulareas said...

funny, i just had that thought this morning... when i looked at my navy 3/4 length KAROO turtleneck dress, and thought... i should wear that with some opaque black tights, and my berry-colored pumps... OH WAIT. it's 90 degrees outside.

ugh.

Anonymous said...

Excited for the post on tights but would love love LOVE a post on sweater dresses - including ones that are wearable to work since a few I've tried are waaaay to scandalous in the length! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Katie-hating is NOT allowed on ASJiNE. Tsk, tsk, ladies...