10 September 2007

The obvious follow-up question

Now that I've cut my hair just about as short as yours (thank you so much for the inspiration!), I'm having issues with pulling it back during workouts. As someone with short hair and who seems to work out quite a bit, how do you deal with this? Also, I'm thinking about running my first 10K this Fall and would like your opinion on good running clothes? And iMixes??

After the boot query, this one - how do you keep your hair back and what do you wear/listen to while you run? - is the subject most frequently broached in your e-mails. Therefore, even though it's only tangentially related to fashion, with that tangent, of course, being my belief that a toned figure is a woman's first step to looking her best, I felt compelled to finally put forth a comprehensive three-part answer to this three-part question.

So here below is the nitty gritty "style" breakdown of how I look and what I listen to when I'm pounding the pavement doing my best to earn gams a la Ms. Underwood:

Skinny knitted headwraps by Scünci ($6.99 at CVS Stores)*

Ribbed cotton tank with built-in bra (2 for $30 at jcrew.com) Personal Best sports bra by Nike ($37.99 at ladyfootlocker.com)
Tempo track short by Nike ($28.99 at City Sports)Nimbus low-cut by Asics (3 pairs for $35.95 at zappos.com)**Glycerin 5 by Brooks (currently on-sale for $79.95 at City Sports)

Now, onto the music.

I have two iMixes to which I turn during my long runs, one a more playful, upbeat, chock-full-of-'80s lady music and the other a slightly more intense, angrier selection that isn't usually unleashed unless I've had a particularly trying day. If you're a regular reader, some of these tracks should look familiar - as with many things, I'm a creature of habit and rarely tire of a good song with great lyrics. Since both compilations are too long to list in their entirety, here are the first 20 tracks of each:

'Not So Hardcore' iMix:

1. Self Control (Laura Branigan)

2. Sexual (Amber)

3. Outrageous XL Remix (Britney Spears)

4. I Get Weak (Belinda Carlisle)

5. Say it Right (Nelly Furtado)

6. Glamorous (Fergie)

7. Hungry Like the Wolf (Duran Duran)

8. I Need you Tonight (INXS)

9. Pon de Replay (Rihanna)

10. Crush (Mandy Moore)

11. Stronger (Britney Spears)

12. Shilo (Neil Diamond)

13. Then He Kissed Me (The Crystals)

14. Sweet Escape (Gwen Stefani ft. Akon)

15. Manic Monday (Bangles)

16. Holding Out for a Hero (Bonnie Tyler)

17. Gloria (Laura Branigan)

18. Ooh La La (Goldfrapp)

19. Sorry (Madonna)

20. What's Your Fantasy? (Ludacris ft. Shawna)

'A Tad Harder Core' iMix:

1. Personal Jesus (Marilyn Manson)

2. Barracuda (Heart)

3. Get Busy (Sean Paul)

4. The Next Episode (Dr. Dre)

5. Paradise City (Guns 'N' Roses)

6. Heart-Shaped Glasses (Marilyn Manson)

7. Enter Sandman (Metallica)

8. Nookie (Limp Bizkit)

9. Pour Some Sugar on me (Def Leppard)

10. Dirt Off Your Shoulder (Jay-Z)

11. Buttons (Pussycat Dolls)

12. Flute Loop (Beastie Boys)

13. California Love (2pac ft. Dr. Dre)

14. Money Maker (Ludacris)

15. Baby Did a Bad Thing (Chris Isaak)

16. The Girl's Attractive (Diamond Nights)

17. Sharp Dressed Man (ZZ Top)

18. Dr. Feelgood (Mötley Crüe)

19. The Beautiful People (Marilyn Manson)

20. Sweet Child O Mine (Guns 'N' Roses)

*after failed attempts to stick ponytail holders and bobby pins into my half-inch long hair and trying both thinner and thicker cloth headbands, this middle-of-the-road variety proved the best fit for me.
**unless you're a distance runner, investing in fancypants socks really isn't necessary; up until very recently, I was a devoted Meijer-purchased Fruit of the Loom ankle socks girl.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! I'm going over to iTunes right now!

Elle said...

I'm going to itunes also - bet I'll have a great run tonight!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pink Nike shorts - I bought 2 pairs! They also have the very convenient running pocket (great for a $20 bill when you need to take a cab back from your ambitious run around the Mall). Also I run in the Glycerin Brooks shoe - amazing. If you're a runner, you know how sacred it is when you find *the* shoe and this is mine! Glad you like it too! And really happy to see it on sale!

Anonymous said...

Into Manson, eh? I think I'm liking you more and more...or I'm at least *intrigued* more and more each day!

Anonymous said...

Love the Nike Tempo shorts. I have 4 pairs of 'em. Can't run in anything else. Laura Branigan? Girl, you're taking me back to my childhood and I love it!

Anonymous said...

I'll fourth (?) the Nike Tempo shorts endorsement. Best of the best, especially when you've run enough that they're a little too big and you have to flip the waistband down once. Just me? :) I also use the interior pocket for the annoyingly large security card for my apartment building.

Upstairs, well, I have to use much more supportive tops. Nike makes great ones. And their $5-for-two-pairs anti-blister socks are fantastic.

Anthea said...

50 Cent's "Disco Inferno" is also fabulous for running.

Katelin said...

I also think "Bring Em Out" by T.I. is also a great pump up song to work out to.

Anonymous said...

G'N'R: sublime

Unknown said...

No interest in the headbands or running, but I'm entertained that you're inspiring hairstyles throughout the country and setting playlists on I-Tunes everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Excellent selections on the music. For this little liberal jogger's money, though, nothing beats Nina Simone's "Sinnerman" (full 10-minute version, natch) while on my run down 16th Street toward the White House in the morning. And if my necessary phlegm expectoration just happens to be timed conveniently when I'm making the turn at Lafayette Square, well whaddyagonnado?

Anonymous said...

Love the Itunes selections. A few weeks ago at Target I found the most amazing hair bands. They are adjustable and the most comforatable hair headbands I have EVER found. I have a BIG head but fine hair so I always have a problem with the band hurting but still keeping my hair back. This band by Goody had rubber stubbies that help keep the hair back but the adjustable band makes it super comfy.

$5at Target!

Goodys StayPut FitClip NoSlip Headwrap

sarahsouth said...

i find it endearing that you own an ugly pair of running shoes.

Anonymous said...

As a woman training for a marathon I have fallen in love with runningskirts.com - they are the most amazing lightweight running skirt that is out there that also looks super cute. I would also highly recommend stocking up on some body glide (you put it on any areas where chafing may occur - such as in between your toes or under your arms)

Anonymous said...

Great playlists--I'm inspired to start making some new ones.

In keeping with the running skirts comment, I recommend skirtsports.com as well. They're so comfortable and cute.