08 May 2007

Longest-running wishlist item crossed off

Pentagon City Mall. Ann Taylor Loft. Clearance rack.

These are not places that typically evoke in me much excitement.

Despite my upbringing in the security blanket of cul-de-sacs, Honda Odyssey carpools and good public schools, since moving here and seeing firsthand the kind of cruel stifle a Stepford lifestyle can wreak on a person, for better or worse, I've become a full-blown "no-really-I'm-having-a-panic-attack" suburbia-phobe. Because of my condition, rarely - very rarely - do I venture into either of the they-might-as-well-be-Narnia worlds better known as VA and MD. But today, this morning, after standing in line with hundreds and hundreds of other joint-challenged fools waiting to fork over 1/5 of the cost of a really nice pair of Brian Atwood stilettos for the chance to run for 4 hours and 29 minutes (fingers-crossed) over Halloween weekend, I found her -- the longest-running and most complex wishlist item in wishlist history.

It was as unexpected and instantaneous as seeing Sandra Bullock's edgy, hideous turn in Crash and no longer considering her part of the Cameron/Kirsten I-will-not-give-them-my-$9.75-even-if-the-plot-seems-interesting club. But there it was, shoved clearance-rack-style in between an "XL" lipstick-stained mint green eyelet tunic and a pair of size-0 high-waisted khaki-colored Mom cords: my ideal little jacket.

If ever there was a squealing-for-joy occasion, this was it. And much to the delight and relief of L, squeal I certainly did.

Indulge me, if you will, and take a peek into the journey of the multiple seasons, textures and cuts that collectively led to this momentous, glorious day:
Inspiration #1:
metallic brocade swing jacket (on wishlist since 07/03)
Inspiration #2:
wool bell-sleeved capelet (on wishlist since 11/06) Inspiration #3:
tweed Peter-Pan collared square jacket (on wishlist since 02/07)


The journey ends, 05/07:

(only $29 when your friend buys an on-sale item, too!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that *is* a super cute jacket...maybe I'll stop by "the loft" on the way home from work.

Don't worry, I'm not in DC, so we won't ever show up in the same outfit :)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! Even though I can't see the "metallic" part, even in plain white tweed it's really cute!

And for $29??

By the way, I'm so impressed (and thankful) you're sharing this with the world. Had I found such a great piece at such a low price, I would have been selfish and kept it to myself.

Anonymous said...

I really like the sleeves, but it looks REALLY white. Too white.

Do I need to see it in person and see the metallic sheen to really appreciate it?