24 January 2007

Dressphemy

I'm all for off-runway interpretations of haute couture clothing, but when it's a piece I really really love like this Thakoon rosette-sleeved mini, I have little patience - especially if it's a C-list celebrity like Ali Larter - for inexcusable liberties like offing-the-shoulder.


Normally, I would assume this was a mistake and that her dress simply slipped down one of her shoulders (a hazard of well-moisturized skin), but evidenced by her braless-ness, it's obvious this was no mistake. This was pre-meditated dressphemy.

In a way, I want to forgive her, because up until last year, she was pretty much only known as the whipped-cream-bikini girl from "Varsity Blues," but I just can't. Not when she did that to this dress.

This mini was intended to be an exaggeration of the dichotomy between innocence and guilt, girl and woman, virgin and vamp, but Ms. Larter either didn't get that (likely) or she wanted us to know she's a less complicated woman than the rest of us (unlikely she intended this, but the message comes across loudly and clearly).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would look amazing in that dress...

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, but I see her wearing it in either black or white, not pink. Unless you've changed?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pink - it's heavenly!!