22 August 2007

The (relatively) guilt-free little red dress

As many posts as I write praising the power of all-black ensembles, even I, on occasion, tire of slipping on an LBD.

And when I do, and staying home with the munchkinpuff and a bag of baked Cheddar Chex Mix isn't an option, there is no quicker way to send my spirits to sexytown than with a dress the color of sin, Santa and Chinese communism.

Obviously, not every woman's skin tone can carry off a rich red, especially not above the torso where red-unfriendly hair colors can also become an issue, but if you're a lady who loves being draped in that first color of the rainbow - not to mention being the most sought after and spoken-about lady in every room you enter - please join me in preaching the gotta-have-one gospel of the little red dress.

Because I realize the LRD isn't (yet) a universally accepted wardrobe staple and therefore not something for which most women will shell out the big bucks, I won't torture you and your limited funds with high-end options such as this, this or (head tilting and sighing...) this, but here below are some cute under-$200 red frocks that should at the very least pique your interest in adding to your collection of going-out dresses something of the crimson variety.

Enjoy!

Poet-sleeve silk dress by Amanda Uprichard ($195 at ronherman.com)
Cap-sleeve silk dress by Suzi Chin ($158 at macys.com)
Matte jersey wrap dress by BCBG Max Azria ($180 at nordstrom.com)
Satin tulip dress by Betsey Johnson ($179 at bluefly.com)
Silk rosette bubble mini by Bebe ($139 at bebe.com)
Puff-sleeve satin mini by Kensie ($78 at dillards.com)
Circus dress by Veritas et Pulchras ($156 at starsandinfinitedarkness.com)*
*your Editrix's holiday dress '07

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still loving that last dress. The neckline is going to look particularly nice with your short hair.

Anonymous said...

I love the the Betsey Johnson, but the bebe one is half a dress.

I really want the DVF ruffle wrap dress in red. It's called the Volante and it has pockets. I'm such a DvF addict.

Katelin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katelin said...

i love the bcbg dress. probably because the girl has the same hair as me so it makes me feel like i could rock it, haha.

eh let's face it i love all the dresses you picked, i love red.

Anonymous said...

The last dress was made for you. And what a steal!

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of the Stars and Infinite Darkness website. I really liked the dress you picked and have spent all morning checking out their site and bookmarking items for later scrutiny. Do you have recommendations for similiar up-and-coming designer websites? I love that its all very unusual (lots of backless tops/dress yay!) but not hideously overpriced.

Thanks!