17 May 2007

The under-$100 Summer blouse

"I'm in the market for one or two going out blouses and was hoping your eye for style could help me. I'd like something summery and of the season, and either sleeveless or very short sleeved. I love the halter style, as my shoulders and arms are my best assets. Oh, and could we try and keep it under $100? I'm a poor NGO girl, have pity on me and my wallet!"

Let me start by saying few of the choices I've posted below are going to be as good in terms of current trend-reflection as the under-$100 tops you'll find at Zara, Mexx or H&M, none of which, unfortunately, sell their wares online due to such quick inventory turnaround but all of which can be found within a half-block of the Wisconsin/M intersection in the heart of downtown Georgetown.

And if somehow you don't find a single blouse that tickles your fancy at any of those three, saunter a few cobblestone blocks past Club Monaco and Coach to Annie Creamcheese and sift through their mix of vintage couture and vintage not-so-couture. At the very least, get yourself over there for an eyeful of founder and store-owner Annie Lee -- she's almost as beautiful as the mint-condition white boatneck Oscar de la Renta garden-party cocktail dress I fell in love with last time I was there. Almost.

But in the meantime, here are a handful of above-the-waist post-work wardrobe components that will look just as good at an upscale hotel bar with a pair of stove-pipe darkwash jeans and stiletto round-toeds as they will walking through mid-town Manhattan with cute dressy shorts and gladiator-style flats.

Ladies, your blouses:

Surplice top by Plenty by Tracy Reese ($99 at southmoonunder.com)
Embroidered yoke top by Marine Blue ($26 at styleviolet.com)
Drama cowl neck by Gold Sign ($42 at activeendeavors.com)
Bubble-sleeve knit top by Froxx ($50.99 at macys.com)
Ruffle-front pinstripe blouse by Juicy Couture ($62.90 at saks.com)*
Pleated trapeze tank ($68 at Silk trim turtleneck tunic ($34.99 at ardenb.com)
One shoulder top by Free People ($58 at freepeople.com)
Embroidered damselfly top by Deletta ($58 at anthropologie.com)
Spider mum top by Harkham ($98 at anthropologie.com)*

*your editrix's top picks

1 comment:

Gretta said...

That Tracy Reese top HAS it. I love your blog! But it makes me want to go shopping.