06 March 2007

How does *this* make it into the New York Times?


February 25, 2007
TIMELESS; Brand Loyalty

By MARY-KATE OLSEN
I have a large, red quilted Chanel bag that I borrowed from my sister Ashley. I wore it to an event and never gave it back. Luckily, she's moved on to another bag, so I'm safe for now. I'm not quite sure how many bags I have, but let's just say I have a few. When I find a bag I like, I tend to wear it to death until I become obsessed with another one. This probably happens three to five times a year. But I always come back to the Chanel. The size isn't overwhelming, and it has enough subtle detail to keep it interesting.

I also have the smaller version in blue and in white, but the red is definitely my favorite. I don't have a stylist -- I'd rather just do my own thing and put together my own outfits. The chain-handle bag is the perfect accent to almost any combination I come up with. I look at everything with a designer's eye, but I wouldn't change a thing about this bag. I think that's why it's a true classic.


I'm trying really hard not to pull several different kinds of rank here - after all, a good writer is a good writer for her style and precision, not her formal experience or academic pedigree - but this review MK Olsen put together for The New York Times on how she likes to "do [her] own thing" with her favorite red Chanel handbag is an example of unearned celebrity privilege at its most egregious.

Next thing you know, we'll be reading a Katie Holmes-penned article in The Washington Post on the "funnest" part of faking her pregnancy or a piece by Nicole Richie in Newsweek in which she describes how "exhilarating" it feels to crack a malnourished rib during foreplay.

Actually, those are two articles I'd much prefer to waste five minutes of my lunch hour reading than having to endure any more of MK's dangling-participle-ridden drivel.

On the bright side, at least we now know what two-half-assed-semesters-at-NYU caliber writing looks like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did they get into college? My 4 year old neice is more articulate than this when describing her *favoritest* things.
She's also a better dresser.

Brunch Bird said...

I am shocked, absolutely shocked at Mary-Kate's revelation that she doesn't have a stylist. And I find it amazing that she didn't end this with "And I also would like a pony. The End."